Demolition of the Bethlehem Steel Administration building can continue moving forward despite preservationists' ongoing effort to save it. YNN's Kaitlyn Lionti tells us what happened during their latest trip to court Thursday.
LACKAWANNA, N.Y. -- According to Lackwanna's mayor, Geoffrey Szymanski, demolition of the Bethlehem Steel Administration Building will continue Friday, after a justice with the State Supreme Court Appellate Division refused the Campaign for Greater Buffalo's request to halt the process Thursday.
"No one wins today. It's a loss for all the citizens of Western New York," said Tim Tielman of the Campaign for Greater Buffalo.
The Campaign made the request after Justice James Dillon lifted a previous temporary restraining order last week.
The Campaign claims the city of Lackawanna and the building's owner, Gateway Trade, didn't complete a necessary environmental review before demolition.
But the Campaign's attorney, Richard Berger, said the court didn't grant its temporary restraining order request Thursday because of the city's safety concerns.
"There's simple no credible danger to the public," said Tielman.
"Basically, we are out of legal alternatives that if Gateway wants to go ahead and demolish this building, they can do it. There's no court which will interfere anymore with the demolition," said Berger.
"It's our decision to enforce our codes, that is our prerogative. Would we like to have somebody restore that building to its pristine condition? Yes. Any plan to restore this building is going to have to show the wherewithal, the financial wherewithal, to restore that building," said Norman LeBlanc, attorney for the city of Lackawanna.
Berger says he thinks there are some very interested people.
"Hopefully they can do it quickly, because otherwise, the building won't be there," he said.
LeBlanc said now three judges have concluded the building is going to come down.
"It's not going to be weeks or months, I would suggest it's going to be days and if I had my wish, it would be hours."