Sunday, December 21, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 



Two arrested following police standoff in French Creek

  • Text size: + -
Buffalo: Two arrested following police standoff in French Creek
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

It lasted more than ten hours. A police standoff in Chautauqua Count ended with two people getting arrested. As YNN's Mark Goshgarian tells us, law enforcement officials faced difficult conditions as they worked to coax the couple out.

FRENCH CREEK, N.Y. — A call for help came in a little after 11, Sunday night.

"That led us to believe that there was possibly somebody in there possibly being held against their will, and the person holding them might have been armed," said Captain Darryl Braley, Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office.

But when deputies arrived on scene...

"We could not make contact with anyone in the residence and maintained our presence there and continued to work to make contact," said Sheriff Joseph Gerace, (D) Chautauqua County.

Multiple agencies including the Chautauqua County Swat Team and hostage negotiators also responded to the home on Route 426 in French Creek.

The road was shut down in both directions, as police surrounded the home and battled the weather.

"The snow changed over to sleet and freezing rain and eventually all rain, so the people that were there all night were wet cold and they had a tough night of it," said Braley.

Deputies say Gregory Johnston and Megan Cottrell, both 26, were inside the home.

Because it was a third party call, there was no word on if Johnston was actually armed or if Cottrell was ever in danger.

"She was uncooperative. We obviously did a check on the well being, to see if she was okay. She refused to come to the door," said Gerace.

Ten hours later, the standoff ended peacefully as the two came out separately around 9 a.m. Monday and were arrested.

Johnston has been charged with being a fugitive of justice from Pennsylvania, where he is wanted for a parole violation. He will be sent back.

Cottrell is facing a charge of obstruction of governmental administration. ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP