Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Alert

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Buffalo

Sentencing for Chautauqua County man convicted of rape put on hold until February

  • Text size: + -

MAYVILLE, N.Y. — Sentencing for a Chautauqua County man who admitted to raping a 12-year-old girl has been put on hold until next year.

Eric Chant, 23, was scheduled to be sentenced in county court Monday morning. Instead, his defense attorneys were granted an extension to gather additional case material.

As part of plea deal, Chant pleaded guilty to rape charges back in September.

Chant abducted the girl from her Jamestown home last year and then sexually assaulted her in the town of Poland.

District Attorney Dave Foley says he does have the right to withdraw his plea down the road.

"It has to be based upon several different factors; coercion, you didn't understand the nature of the plea, you were promised something that wasn't delivered, something like that. The appealable issues from a plea are very minute," said Foley.

Chant's sentencing has been rescheduled for February 4th.

As part of the plea deal, he will spend 25 years in state prison.

10.11.12.244 ClientIP: 54.227.12.4, 23.0.160.31, 10.254.52.20 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP